In general the Dance Gypsy does not collect information on visitors to the site — although there are some exceptions, described below.
The Dance Gypsy does not sell this information, nor make it available in any consolidated form.
Information forms the Dance Gypsy does collect from general visitors:
- We neither collect nor maintain any personal nor descriptive information from general visitors (those who come seeking information.
- We do keep a record of IP address from which we were visited.
Information Collected from supporters:
- We do keep records of the donors, including all information needed to maintain a record of those donors and their donations. This includes name, email address, postal address, date and amount of donation, etc.
- And of course the same information as kept for regular visitors (IP addresses)
Information collected from user-updaters
- For those dancers, performers and organizers who voluntarily help us collect data on the many dance events, we keep identifying information so that we know who made the updates. This includes name, email address, plus the IP address from which updates were made.
We do not sell, give away, trade, or otherwise make available any information collected from any of the above groups!
Information collected about performers and other individuals listed in these pages
- The Dance Gypsy is an information source, as such we explicitly collect data for the purposes of describing events (e.g., event name, time, location) or performers (e.g., name, musical genre, instruments). This information is compiled from various sources including direct entry by user/updaters, flyers collected at other events, dance websites, etc. Any visitor may see what information we have on them personally, their band or their dance organization by searching for that data using the search tools.
- Information needed to maintain a record of donors. This include name, email address, date and amount of donation, etc. We do not record such things as frequency of visits.
- Information needed to keep track of our organization of user/updaters, including name log in information.
In addition the Dance Gypsy takes a number of precautions to protect your information from outside harvesters, including:
- All email addresses displayed on any Dance Gypsy page are “munged” to make them inaccessible to automated harvesters.
- Comprehensive searches of the data any base are prohibited (e.g., no visitor can ask for something like “tell me all the musicians”).
- Dancers registering to include data are checked against lists of known spammers.
- The Dance Gypsy does watch for hackers, spammers and robots performing unauthorized searches and bans those robots from the DG site.